As we head into a new season, simplifying your closet and getting rid of the excess that’s keeping it overstuffed might be on your mind. Like I always say, organized clutter is still clutter so before we jump into how to organize your closet, let’s get into the nitty gritty of clearing it out!
Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Closet and Creating a wardrobe you love
Does every single item of clothing you own bring you joy? Do you wear each item often and like the way you feel in it? I’m guessing the answer to both of those questions is no.
It’s time to get rid of the things that are weighing you down. Clutter in your home causes clutter in your mind and if I’ve learned anything the last few years, it’s that I am so much more relaxed and happy the more I get rid of stuff.
If you know me, you know I’m a huge believer in working in 15 minute chunks. If you’ve got a big problem with clutter you’ll definitely want to check out my 6 Week Declutter Challenge which will be opening again in a few weeks. But if you have the time to spend a few hours and do one big closet cleanout, you’re going to feel so free. If you don’t, you can easily break these steps into 15-30 minute increments by taking it one shelf or rack at a time.
How to Simplify Your Closet
- Take everything out. All of it. Put all of your clothes in a big pile on your bed. (if you’re doing the 15 minute increments then just grab everything from one section or shelf)
- Take each item, one at a time and hold it, look at it, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does it make you happy?
- If you put that item on right this moment, would you feel good in it?
- Would it fit?
- Would you be happy to go out in public in it?
- If you answer no to any of these questions, get rid of it.
- Look over the items for any tears or missing buttons. If an item needs repair but you don’t plan on doing it, get rid of it.
- Only put the items that you LOVE and will wear back in the closet.
- Invest in some nice wood hangers to take care of your clothes. It’s amazing how much easier it will be for you to pick out your clothes in the morning if they’re beautiful and well taken care of.
- Use beautiful storage bins / baskets to store seasonal clothes or shoes
- Keep one storage basket somewhere in your closet to toss clothes that you don’t want any more. Be sure to donate them as soon as it’s full and don’t use it for anything else.
- Start building a functional capsule wardrobe that can easily mix and match and be added to over the years.
- Be willing to spend a little extra money on quality clothes that will last and make you feel good.
I have absolutely fallen in love with Carly Jean Los Angeles. Carly’s line is all capsule wardrobe friendly without being boring. I’ve been so hesitant to build a capsule wardrobe because in all honesty they look a little plain. I like to have at least a little style and Carly does just that. She brings fashion to capsule like no other. Her items are made in LA and they are so comfy and beautiful. Check out Carly’s tips, get a coupon code, and see which items are my favorite below:
Here are some tips from Carly herself on how to build a capsule (use code CORIE15 to get 15% off through 2/9)
How To Build A Capsule
A capsule consists of a certain number of pieces that can mixed and matched in a variety of ways to create different outfits. Choose a few base pieces in base colors for your capsule that will all go together. Your pieces should be interchangeable! Solid colors are helpful for mixing and matching!
1. Start With Basics.
Basics are simple and easy pieces that can mix and match in so many different ways! They will help everything else in your capsule come together. Great quality pieces are worth it! They’ll last!
2. Add in a pair of denim that you’ll live in!
Typically a simple pair of denim that will go with everything and can be styled up or down. And choose a pair or two that fit well and make you feel great!
3. Throw in some fun patterned pieces that can be paired with your basics!
Maybe a cute striped top or a patterned blouse! Patterns can be neutral. Choose ones that can be worn with multiple things in your closet.
4. Layers are needed!
Add in a jacket, sweater or cardigan that can be paired over your pieces. This will create more stylish outfits! I think every gal needs a great jean jacket, a simple layering sweater, and a CJ’s fave kimono cardigan!
5. A dress is always needed to complete your capsule.
Grab a simple dress or two that will match and with everything! This will be your “go to dress”! Our Stella and a Jasmine dresses are great solid color pieces you can wear to a million things and no one would realize it!
6. Complement your capsule with accessories that are versatile as well!
Wherever it’s jewelry, a purse, a bandana. Fill your closet with pieces that can be worn with all your pieces! Mixable items are KEY!
A few closet rules Carly lives by are:
- Don’t keep things you don’t love!
- Only but things you absolutely love!
- If you can’t wear it with more than 5 things don’t buy it!
Corie’s favorite Carly Jean items
- Layla long cardigan
- Classic jeans
- Ollie tunic
- Leah Waffle Blouse
- Stella dress
- Forest Jacket
- Aiden blouse
- Tate blouse
- Favorite tie tank